By Tom Rockmore, Daniel Breazeale
The occupation of J. G. Fichte, a primary determine in German idealism and within the heritage of philosophy, divides into targeted levels: the 1st interval, during which he occupied the chair of severe philosophy on the collage of Jena (1794-1799); and the next interval, after he left Jena for Berlin. Due partly to the inaccessibility of the German texts, Fichte scholarship within the English-speaking global has tended to target the Jena interval, neglecting the improvement of this significant thinker's mature improvement. The essays amassed during this e-book start to right this imbalance. involved in a number of methods with Fichte's post-Jena philosophy, those essays through wonderful and rising students display the intensity and breadth of Fichte scholarship being performed in English.
With an advent that locates the essays in philosophical and historic phrases, the booklet divides into 3 comparable different types: Fichte’s improvement, his view of faith, and different points of his "popular" (or not-so-popular) philosophy. From quite a lot of views, the essays express how Fichte’s later improvement displays the philosophical issues of his time, the explicit debates within which he engaged, and the complicated occasions of his philosophical career.
Read Online or Download After Jena: New Essays on Fichte's Later Philosophy (Topics in Historical Philosophy) PDF
Similar modern books
During this paintings, the topology of speed fields serves as a foundation to typically classify separated flows. it truly is speculated no matter if the computation of a unmarried constitution. ..
This selection of essays presents a sequence of unpolluted techniques to a desirable topic: Jacobitism. The participants specialize in problems with id and reminiscence between Jacobites in Scotland, eire, England and Europe. They study Jacobitism as an fundamental element of tradition and society within the British Isles and past throughout the century after 1688.
The information of the interactions of photons with hadrons has significantly better with the learn of high-energy lepton-proton collisions at HERA. the consequences at the partonic interactions of photons are summarized compared to photon-nucleon, two-photon, and proton-antiproton experiments.
- Philosophy in the Modern World: A New History of Western Philosophy, Volume 4 (New History of Western Philosophy)
- Catalogue of Old and Modern Books on Commerce and Finances: In Which are Incorporated Many Original Editions of the Works of the Leading Authors of Former Centuries
- Modern Speech Recognition Approaches with Case Studies
- Modern Acetylene Chemistry
- Concepts and methods in modern theoretical chemistry. Statistical mechanics
Additional info for After Jena: New Essays on Fichte's Later Philosophy (Topics in Historical Philosophy)
6. This seems to be the course followed by, for example, Peter Baumanns,] G. Fichte: Kritische Gesamtdarstellung seiner Philosophie (Freiburg and Munich: Alber, 1990) . The different presentations of the Wissenschaftslehre include: 1. 3:141-208). In English, Concerning the Concept of the Wissenschaftslehre, in EPVV: 87-135 + Foundations ofthe Enti~e Science ofKnowledge, in Fichte: Science ofKnowledge, ed. and trans. Peter Heath and John Lachs (Cambridge: Carnbridge University Press, 1982),89-206 + Concerning the Distinctive Character of the Wissenschaftslehre with Respect to the Theoretical Faculty, in EPVV: 233-306.
T. Rink (written 1784; Konigsberg, 1800); andJohann Gottfried von Herder, Verstand undErfahrung: Eine Metakritik zur Kritik der reinen Vernunft (Leipzig: Hartknoch, 1799). 24. See Jean Paul, Clavis Fichteana, section 10. 25. 3:224-81. This "open letter" was sent to Fichte in March 1799 and published in September of that year. 26. 3:228-30). 27. Erlangen Literatur-Zeitung, May 19-20, 1800; repro in FZR 3:35-53. Other critical reviews of Die Bestimmung des Menschen include, in addition to the previously mentioned parody by Schleiermacher and Bouterwek's review (which is discussed below), anonymous reviews in the Neue nilrnbergischen gelehrten Zeitung, no.
Fichte's dissatisfaction with the details of his own discussion of the distinction between ideal and real activities in the 1796-98 version of his system is evident from his November 15, 1800, letter to Schelling, in which he maintains that both he and Schelling have previously been guilty ofsome confusion on this score. 114. 5:347. 115. 5:384-86. Another helpful innovation in the Neue Bearbeitung is a new distinction between the original 40 AFTER JENA subject-object "duplicity" of the I and the "triplicity" that is the necessary product thereof: "Subject"-"Object"-"Object of this object"; or, the imaging subject, what is imaged, and what exists ("das Bildende"-"das Gebildete"-"das Seyende").